Pentre Maelor was originally known as Pilgrim’s Place. It got the name after the first non-conformist J Lloyd of Bryn Agog Hall was internedthere. At that time nonconformists were not allowed to be interned in the Wrexham Cemetery. This is how the area around the grave became known as Pilgrim’s Place. On Lloyd’s death he bequeathed money towards Rhosddu Cemetery. The famous Wilkinson brothers of Bersham also donated towards the Cemetery. The remains of the Cemetery can still be found in Rhosddu, now known as the Peace Garden.
During the Second World War the Government built an armaments factory on the land at Pentre Maelor, producing cordite, needed for firing shells. Workers came from all over the Country and were initially based on Cefn road. Today this site is the Welsh School.
After the war the land came to the Board of Trade to develop as a Trading Estate. The first factories to be built were for Courtaulds, Johnson & Johnson and British Tissue. To provide housing for the factory workers the Housing estate was built by Edward Gittings during 1947 with the first residents moving in 1948.